Language is a process of free creation; its laws and principles are fixed, but the manner in which the principles of generation are used is free and infinitely varied. Even the interpretation and use of words involves a process of free creation.

-Noam Chomsky-

Monday 30 August 2010

Fly away…

I probably started learning English because I’ve always been a little bit obsessed with the British band Radiohead, at the time I thought that British people and their culture were the best. As I grew older I realized that it was the guys from Radiohead the ones I worshipped and that basically nothing compares to your home country. Although I am constantly disappointed by the political choices people make in Chile, most of the time I feel proud of being part of such a warm people.

However, nowadays I feel the urge of going away somewhere and I would really like to live in England for some time, I’m quite acquainted with the British history because I had to learn about it. Besides, I see the relationship between language and culture as a close one, so learning about such things was a must for me. I would like to do a Master’s degree in York, a city in the north of the United Kingdom, because it’s the one of the few places where I could pursue the program I want and I mean a teacher of English studying in England! I kind of deserve, don’t I? I’ll keep my fingers crossed and let you know how that goes. Now you tell me:

- Which country would you like to go to? Why?
- What do you know about it?
- What would you like to do there?
- Would you like to study/work/live there? Explain.

You should

- Write 200 words
-
Make comments on 3 of your classmates’ posts